Share this job with your friends, family and co-workers...
THIS JOB ADVERT IS STILL ACTIVE...
IP ATTONEY/PARALEGAL - TRADEMARKS AND PATENTS - 367382
IP ATTONEY/PARALEGAL - TRADEMARKS AND PATENTS
Legal / Litigation / Lawyers
Wage / Salary:
R - Market Related - P/M (Per Month)
Cape Town, Western Cape
A globally recognised skin care brand, with a number of global awards, is looking for a Attorney/Paralegal, who has extensive experience in Intellectual Property (IP), in both Trademarks and Patents. This position is based in Cape Town.
Duties & Responsibilities
This position requires the successful incumbent to work closely with the CEO and Scientific Director, as well as with the Attorneys and external clients. Legal knowledge and experience in working within a corporate legal team are key requirements for this position. This position will best suit an Attorney who has worked in an IP law firm or a Non-Admitted Attorney with IP experience.
Key Performance Areas:
• Work closely with the CEO to develop policies and procedures and implement best practices for legal matters affecting the company.
• Draft and retain basic legal correspondence across all areas of the business e.g.: New Distribution Agreements; Service Level Agreements; Restraint of Trade Agreements; Confidentiality and Non-Disclosure Agreements; IP Draft License Agreements, Letters of appointment, etc.
• Report on distribution agreements that need to be resigned or updated.
• Contribute to trial preparation in litigation practices.
• Attend to basic clerical tasks, such as organizing and managing files & documents, photocopying, making and receiving phone calls, and filing correspondence.
• Maintaining and monitoring patent database for deadlines and status checks.
• Reviewing incoming correspondence from attorneys and foreign counsel.
• Assist in quality assurance review for new trademark filings by noting and referring any errors or omissions during docketing to attorneys.
• Monitor up-coming due dates for all pending applications during each phase.
• Perform preliminary trademark "knock-out" searches using electronic and online search tools.
• Entry and maintenance of the IP trademark list e.g. capturing of certificates.
• Manage electronic and hard copy documents through litigation technology.
• Collect mandatory information for and fulfill intellectual property filing requirements
• Timeous upload of monthly trademark reports to the shared drive.
• Provide administrative support to IP attorneys in all aspects of intellectual property, patents, domains, trademark prosecution and litigation.
• Attend to official correspondence, including but not limited to statements of use, declarations, power of attorneys, amendments, fee payments, extensions etc.
• Coordinate the execution, notarization and legalisation of trademark documents including affidavits, declarations, assignments, and power of attorneys.
• Organise delivery of legal correspondence to attorneys.
• Assist with domain name registration and the continuous ownership.
• Superior research skills.
• Confidence to liaise with people globally, at all levels.
• Familiar with electronic document management and filing systems.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
• Interpersonal skills.
• Flexible, adaptable and efficient work practices..
• Aid IP counsels as need arises, such as collecting and collating data.
• Ability to recognize and avoid detrimental mistakes by understanding the impact and importance of IP rights.
• Ability to exercise sound judgment and execute against deliverables under tight deadlines and competing priorities.
• Adaptable and open to change, process oriented, global mindset.
• Methods and techniques of legal research.
• Legal terminology, forms of actions, procedures and practices.
• Telephone, office and online etiquette. Skills & Abilities
• Effectively communicate with a variety of individuals representing diverse cultures and backgrounds and function calmly in stressful situations, which require a high degree of sensitivity, tact and diplomacy.
• Treat individuals, attorneys etc. with courtesy and respect.
• Effectively communicate in oral and written form to present arguments and factual statements on legal issues.
• Prepare stipulated agreements, answers, affidavits, declarations etc.
• Read comprehensively and prepare concise written summaries.
• Investigate facts and obtain relevant information.
• Perform legal research and analyse a variety of legal documents, files and records.
Desired Experience & Qualification
LLB plus IP qualification
2-4 years’ work experience in an IP law firm or legal department of a corporate company with a focus on IP -work
Working on all aspects of intellectual property, patents, domains, trademark prosecution and litigation
Non-Admitted Attorney would be considered
Package & Remuneration
Negotiable, based on experience