Reporting to the Chief Risk Officer (who is based in Sandton, South Africa), the Risk Analyst is responsible for identifying, evaluating, and analyzing risks inherent to the operations of the business. Incumbent will formulate, implement, administer, and evaluate risk management strategies to efficiently and cost-effectively manage those risks. This position is responsible for educating, advising, and counselling the business to reduce or transfer risks. Incumbent must remain informed of the dynamic changes that occur within the business community and make the best risk mitigation method decisions based on the changes. Incumbent will participate in forums, risk management educational programs and other opportunities to stay abreast of emerging issues affecting business operational risks.
Duties & Responsibilities
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Coordinates risk management efforts between all areas of the business by creating a Risk Team.
2. Document and ensure communication of key risks.
3. Maintain input or data quality of risk management systems.
4. Recommend ways to control or reduce risk.
5. Identify key risks and mitigating factors of potential investments, such as asset types and values, legal and ownership structures, professional reputations, customer bases, or industry segments.
6. Devise systems and processes to monitor validity of risk modelling outputs.
7. Gather risk-related data from internal or external resources.
8. Identify and analyze areas of potential risk to the assets, earning capacity, or success of organizations.
9. Develop or implement risk-assessment models or methodologies.
10. Produce reports or presentations that outline findings, explain risk positions, or recommend changes.
11. Plan, and contribute to development of, risk management systems.
12. Track, measure, or report on aspects of market risk for traded issues.
13. Conduct statistical analyses to quantify risk using statistical analysis software or econometric models.
14. Meet with clients to answer queries on subjects such as risk exposure, market scenarios, or values-at-risk calculations.
15. Devise scenario analyses reflecting possible severe market events.
16. Develop contingency plans to deal with emergencies.
17. Confer with traders to identify and communicate risks associated with specific trading strategies or positions.
18. Analyze new legislation to determine impact on risk exposure.
19. Review or draft risk disclosures for offer documents.
20. Consult financial literature to ensure use of the latest models or statistical techniques.
21. Determine potential environmental impacts of new products or processes on long-term growth and profitability.
22. Determine potential liability related to the use of more sustainable methods of product packaging, such as biodegradable food containers.
22. Evaluate the risks and benefits involved in implementing green building technologies.
23. Evaluate the risks related to green investments, such as renewable energy company stocks.
Bachelor’s Degree from a regionally accredited institution in Risk Management, Business Administration or related field and 4 years’ experience in Risk Management, Insurance, Business Continuity and supervision; a working knowledge of risks associated with the Advanced Microsoft office tools
An in-depth working knowledge of the industry (Bloomberg Market experience would be an advantage)
Strong initiative and ability to manage multiple projects and tasks
Articulate with good presentational skills and an appreciation for the demands of conflicting interests;
A good level of commercial/financial awareness with good analytical & problem-solving skills
Excellent communication and organisational skills;
Consummate professional and compliant with the role’s fiduciary duties as appropriate;
Ability to work well with others (teamwork) in a fast paced and dynamic environment;
Highest integrity and ethical standards