Head of Programme - Education - Academic Sector
Experienced HOP for Education required for Top Academic Institution (Further Education) in Sandton
My client is a top Academic Institution in the Field of Further Education in South Africa. It is a listed company and is focussed on Higher Education of the highest quality under various brands and in varying sectors of Educational Faculties.
They need an experienced candidate for the role of Head of Programme for Education. The role is urgent and the successful candidate will have to be available with a very short notice period or immediately.
The Head of Programme (Hop) will report directly to the Head of Education in the Faculty of Social Sciences.
Level and scope of responsibility
The HOP will be responsible for ensuring that the curriculum, learning material and assessments for a particular set of modules and qualifications are developed and implemented against the policy and quality standards of the Institute.
In this role the HOP works with other HOPs, the learning management system team, the brands and the operations team to ensure delivery of high quality education to our students.
In addition, the HOP is responsible for interaction between the faculty and the brands with respect to all matters related to the modules or programmes for which s/he is primarily responsible.
As this is a senior academic appointment it is not expected that the full range of activities will be encapsulated within a position description - instead, a person is expected to act dependably within at least the following range of responsibilities:
Key areas of responsibility include:
• Review, development, quality assurance and implementation, subject to the policies and governance procedures of The Institution, of the curriculum, syllabus and material development of those designated programmes or modules (some of which may be service courses) for which the Head of Programme is responsible
• Aspects of faculty administration as delegated by the Head of Faculty
• Establishment and maintenance of effective interaction between the faculty and the brands with respect to the particular programmes for which s/he is responsible and as well as in terms of more general matters affecting the brands
• Identify, develop and monitor programme developers including the briefing of developers and the quality assurance of their work
• Responsible for the setting and monitoring of minimum standards for delivery and assessment including management of academic incidents related to assessment
Tracking of student performance, in cooperation with trading division national offices, in designated programmes and modules including planning and monitoring of interventions that may be required to address problems
• Responsible for the identifying, briefing and managing moderators in consultation with the trading division and for managing the moderation of assessments within the faculty - this includes the planning and implementation of problem solving strategies as needed
• Active commitment to the maintenance of academic standards and of curriculum areas within the discipline - this includes capacity building on campus and his/her own personal commitment to keeping up to date with developments in his/her academic field
• Demonstrated commitment to the development, implementation and monitoring of all policies
• Active commitment to capacity building on the campuses of the trading divisions and where applicable the preparation and delivery of peer lectures and seminars - one of the key focuses here has to be the building of capacity of lecturers to work with a diverse student body
• Participate in, and contribute to, The Institute's activities, particularly its seminars and workshop programmes
• Participation in the key governance structures and committees as may be required from time to time
• Any other relevant duties as may be required
A minimum of an Honour's Degree or other qualification at NQF Level 8 in an area of Education study is required, but a Master's Degree in Education, or significant progress towards a Master's degree is preferred.
The Educational areas in which skills are particularly needed include Early Childhood Education, Foundation Phase, and/or Inclusive Education.
Normally, at least 3 years lecturing experience (full or part time) in a public or private tertiary provider. Under exceptional circumsta